While working with the financial software Quickbooks, it is natural to encounter some errors after all it’s a technical application. Users often complain that they are encountering issues such as their screen just stops for a few minutes when they tap on Quickbooks. Also, they can’t open their company files. These are indications of the software getting infected with an error namely- “QuickBooks Won’t Open Error After Windows Update”. The major factor behind this issue can be technical, human intervention, and many more. (Discussed in-depth below)
Quickbooks won’t open issues occur when there is a presence of damaged program files. When you get this error, you can’t carry on your financial tasks which ultimately affect your workflow. Even though this issue can affect your company’s growth, it can be easily fixed with some technical steps mentioned below.
In today’s informative post, you will read why QuickBooks won’t open after the Windows update problem takes place, its causes, symptoms, and troubleshooting steps.
Quickbooks Won’t Open: Major Causes
No error just appears out of the blue. Various factors come together to form an error. The same thing is with the “Quickbooks Won’t Open Company File” error. There are some factors causing this error to take place, namely:
- Your company file name is long and exceeds the limit.
- Corrupted hard drive.
- You can end up in this issue if the Quickbooks installation is not properly done.
- Missing or lost QBWUSER.INI file.
- Another factor causing “QuickBooks Won’t Open Error After Windows Update” is using an old operating system.
Symptoms to Identify “Quickbooks Won’t Open” Error
Sometimes users can’t identify the error and confuse it with other issues. So, it is equally important to understand the signs and symptoms to apply the correct fixation methods.
- The software starts freezing periodically.
- Quickbooks won’t open company files.
- Windows responds sluggishly.
- Your computer starts hanging.
- Your system responds sluggishly to keyboard and mouse inputs.
- The screen will flash error messages such as “Quickbooks 2016 Won’t Open.”
- You will see an error code message/notification on your screen.
Ways to Fix QuickBooks Won’t Open Error After Windows Update: Proven Steps
When you get this error, you might wonder why Quickbooks won’t open, how can I fix my Quickbooks won’t open error, etc. Well, you will get answers to all these questions below as we have discussed the most proven solutions to fix this error.
Solution 1: Switching Off QBW32.exe Process
- Firstly, right-tap on the “Windows taskbar” and choose the option of “Start Task Manager.”
- Now, you have to tap on the “Process tab” then on the “Image Name” header. This will alphabetically sequence the processes.
- Then you have to locate and choose “EXE“.
- In the end, tap on “End Process” in order to exit the “Exe process“
Solution 2: Renaming and Deleting the QBWUSER.INI File
Renaming and deleting the QBWUSER.INI file assists in removing all information stored in the old opened files’ list. The steps are:
- The initial step is to hold “Windows + E.”
- After that, inside the “Organize”, tap on “Folder and Search.”
- Then, click on “View.”
- Inside Advanced settings, navigate to “Hidden files and folders”, then select the option “Show hidden files and folders” then tap on “OK.”
- Now, Reach out to My computer > C: > Documents > [username] > Local settings > Application data > Intuit > QuickBooks
- In the end, right-tap on “QBWUSER.INI” and tap on the option of “Delete and Rename.”
Solution 3: Accessing Company File Via a Different Location
Sometimes, the company file’s folder gets corrupted. So, here you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, hold Windows + E keys.
- Then, look for the company file containing the “.Qbw” extension. If your file is on a network server, then you need to browse to that drive that contains the data file.
- After that, you have to tap right on your company file, then click on “Copy.”
- Now, reach out to the C: Drive and make a new folder.
- Name the freshly created folder as “QBTEST.”
- Then, open the folder of “QBTEST” and paste your company file.
- The following step is to open the software QuickBooks and hold the “CTRL” button.
- After that, tap on “Open or Restore an existing company” then examine the folder of “C:\QBTEST.”.
- In the end, is to open the company file that you had copied in the folder of QBTEST.
Solution 4: Running Quick Fix My Program
You can use Quickbooks Tool Hub to run Quick Fix My Program to easily repair Quickbooks won’t open errors. The tool is capable of fixing numerous errors in the software within minutes.
Step 1: Download and Install the Repairing Tool Hub
- The first step is to exit from QuickBooks
- After that, download the current version of the tool from the Intuit website.
- The next step is to save the downloaded file to an accessible location.
- Open “QuickBooksToolHub.exe” (the downloaded file).
- Now, perform the instructions step-by-step that are appearing on the screen to install the tool and tap on “I Accept” to “Agree to the terms & conditions”
- Then, you have to tap twice on the newly created icon on the desktop.
Step 2: Run Quick Fix My Program From the Tools Hub
The quick fix my program tab will close all opened processes in the background. The steps are:
- Inside the QuickBooks tool hub, you need to choose “Program Problems.”
- Then, select “Quick Fix My Program.”
- In the end, open QuickBooks and access the data file to see if the error is successfully resolved.
Also find, Steps To Download and Install Quickbooks File Doctor Tool
Solution 5: Fix QuickBooks Desktop Installation
If you wonder why Quickbooks won’t open, then improper installation could be a major reason behind it. Sometimes, users perform incorrect installation which leads to this error popping up immediately on your screen. You can repair it by applying the following steps:
- First of all, hold “Ctrl +Alt + Del.”
- After that, choose “Task Manager.”
- Now, you need to tap on “Process tab“
- Right-tap on “QuickBooks processes“
- Then, tap on “End Process“.
- After that, you will receive a confirmation process where you have to choose “End All Processes“.
- After completing the steps, restart your QuickBooks again
- In the end, tap on “Repair QuickBooks“.
Solution 6: Suppressing QuickBooks Desktop
When there is any damage to your QBs company file, you have to find the real problem within the company file. The steps are:
- First of all, hold the “Ctrl” button and tap twice on the QuickBooks icon. Make sure that you release the Ctrl key only when you see the window of “NO Company open.”
- After that, you need to choose a “Company file”, and select “Open.”
Solution 7: Create a New Windows Admin User
This is a hassle-free method and gets completed within minutes. The steps to follow are:
- First of all, tap on “Control Panel.”
- Then, tap twice on “User Account” >> “Manage User” then “Add“.
- After that, type the name along with the administrator’s domain. Hit “Ok.”
- If you are a Windows 10 user then choose “Administrator“.
- In the end, tap on “Finish”, it will take you to the dialogue box of “User Accounts” where you have to tap on “OK“.
Solution 8: Running QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
You can directly jump to the method part if you have already downloaded the Quickbooks Tool Hub. But if you haven’t then go back to the Solution Number 2 to download it first and then start with the process.
- Firstly, open “QuickBooks tool hub.”
- After that choose “Installation Issues.”
- Then, tap on “QuickBooks install diagnostic tool” after which it will automatically run. The whole process will take 20 minutes to get finished.
- After that, reboot your system
- In the end, open QuickBooks, as well as your company file to see if the issue is still there or not.
Solution 9: Re-Register QuickBooks
If QuickBooks won’t open or start, then check that your QuickBooks software is already registered. In case, it isn’t then make it and then open your file.
Way to Check if QBs is Registered
- Open the software first, then push the “F2” key. After doing this, a window related to the product information will open.
- Next, check the registration status of QBs beside the license number.
- If you are previously registered, it will show register.
If QBs isn’t Registered
- First of all, tap on “OK” to close the window of “Product Information.”
- The next step is to tap on “Help” and select “Activate QuickBooks”
- In the end, obey the on-screen instruction popping up to verify your details and conclude the activation process.
QuickBooks won’t open issues is pretty frustrating for all users as it not only prevents you from completing your tasks but also affects your company growth. But with the help of our informative post, you can easily fix Quickbooks Won’t Open error on your own. All the efficient methods are mentioned here. You just have to go through the steps till the end and fix this troublesome issue by spending a few minutes.
If you are looking for more assistance then we would recommend you to communicate with Quickbooks Customer Support. The efficient team is 24×7 available to help you with all your queries.